Friday 25 January 2013

Examples of Great and Not-so-great Social Media Use!

Earlier this week, I was watching the Marilyn Dennis show (please don't judge me ;-)!). It was the weekly 'Home' show where the focus is on home renovating and decorating and viewers have the opportunity to submit (in person or via Twitter) their 'decorating dilemmas' to guest contributors. This week's guest was well known media personality and 'brand' Debbie Travis. A viewer submitted photos of her living room, provided details regarding the furnishings, and asked for advice regarding paint colours. Ms Travis's response to the request for advice -- a very glib "Move!" -- insinuating (on national TV) that the room was beyond help. She continued to be unnecessarily critical of the viewers newly purchased light fixtures. As a viewer, I found her attitude condescending, insulting and, to be honest, nasty.

I might normally have left it at that, perhaps relating the story to a sister or two, and maybe even thinking twice about purchasing her products. But...we live in the 21st century and, hey, I'm taking a Social Media in PR course and the original request for submissions was conducted via Twitter. So.... I took to Twitter to express my displeasure -- “Wondering if Debbie Travis is lacking the internal ‘edit’ function – a bit mean spirited!”. I wondered how adept she and her team were at ‘listening’ to her public. Turns out, she really was listening! In short order, I received a response tweet “Just my British sense of humour, sorry U don’t get it”. She did well by listening and responding quickly, but clearly missed the mark. Rather than apologizing or demonstrating any level of contrition, she turned it back to my supposed lack of humour.  Personally, I don’t believe that publicly insulting a viewer’s home is funny in any culture and I suspect that many others would agree.

I observed a few factors in this exchange.  1. I’m far more outspoken in tweets and emails than I would ever be in person. 2. Most people are more assertive, including media personalities (let’s face it, they’re people first and ‘brands’ second). I can see how ‘Twitter’ exchanges can escalate – everyone wants to have the last word, but brands need to remember that these exchanges are very public!

My second experience was far more positive. As I was checking my Twitter feed, I noted that VP Biden was moments away from speaking  live via Google+ Hangout on the topic of gun control. A simple click and I had the opportunity to view, in real time, an online town hall meeting where Americans throughout the country, from the comfort of their homes, representing both side of the debate, could express their opinions and ask VP Biden specific questions. Brilliant use of Google+ Hangouts. Hey – does this mean I can say I’ve ‘hung-out’ with Joe?! Now that we're pals, maybe he can introduce me to Barack? But don't tell Michelle!

No comments:

Post a Comment